Starting Salary: £20,500-22,000 (depending on experience), to be reviewed following successful completion of 3-month probationary period.
Reports to: CEO, COO & Senior Marketing Manager.
Based at: Role is based remotely, with 1-2 days in London required each month.
Front Line Genomics are comprised of a CEO, COO, production team (x2), scientific communications officer, two commercial managers, senior marketing manager and data researcher. Following a strong 2020 performance and an extremely positive outlook for 2021, we are currently hiring for a Marketing and Science Communications Assistant.
About Front Line Genomics
At Front Line Genomics we have a simple social mission: to deliver the benefits of genomics to patients faster. We were set up following the death of the CEO’s father to a rare form of cancer, and we have a deep desire to improve the lives of patients and the general public. The social side of our business seamlessly supports and enhances our commercial operations. Our social mission is the priority, but we are a for-profit, commercial organisation. Our culture is extremely important to us.
Genomics is a critically important, fast-growing focus area within the life sciences sector, involving drug developers, academia, healthcare organizations, investors, government and a wide variety of technology companies. The potential of genomics to improve society, alongside other related technologies, is profound. Genomics has recently taken centre-stage as the key enabling technology in tackling the pandemic. For instance, without genomics, there would be no COVID vaccines and little understanding of COVID-19 variants.
We have also moved beyond genomics, developing products in areas relating to the use of biodata in drug discovery and development. With our D4 brand, we now have a strong track record in that area, and we currently also have a number of products in the advanced stages of development.
Front Line Genomics is a media business with three core products:
– Events: The Festival of Genomics (among the largest genomics event in the world, with approx. 6,500 attendees) and D4 Global (a biodata-focused conference with approx. 750 pharma attendees).
– Digital products: These include a highly successful line of webinar series, reports and associated products. The success of these products has led to rapid growth in 2020-21.
– Website and community platforms. A genomics and D4 website, with plans to build specific community platforms in niche areas later in 2021.
Existing clients include Amazon Web Services, Genomics England, Google, Illumina, Pfizer, Qiagen, Roche and Thermo Fisher
We regularly work with the most prominent people and companies in the field of genomics, and also work closely with several UK-government affiliated organizations. That said, our focus is global. We do not see ourselves as an ‘external’ media company – we have a very strong brand, and are imbedded within the industry that we serve. The opportunities for growth (career, earnings and experience) within our business are excellent. We have an impressive track-record and extremely ambitious, achievable plans.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a talented individual to work at a dynamic start-up company. In this role you will be responsible for supporting both the marketing and science communications functions of our business, gaining new experiences and strengthening your capabilities in both areas. You will make a direct contribution to both the social impact and commercial performance of Front Line Genomics, by strengthening the effectiveness of our content and communications with our audience, potential customers and clients.
Front Line Genomics is a fast-growing business that has thrived and grown during the pandemic. We have medium-term plans to expand the team and have a preference for promoting into senior roles from within the existing team as we grow. As such, for high-performers, this role is an incredible opportunity to make rapid progress in both your career and earnings.
- Writing copy and proof reading for marketing campaigns.
- Ensuring that website copy is accurate and up-to-date.
- Running dedicated marketing campaigns through all relevant social media channels.
- Assisting with creating digital marketing collateral.
- Collecting and analysing quantitative and qualitative data from marketing campaigns (both during and afterwards) and website performance.
- Supporting the Senior Marketing Manager and Content team on ad-hoc projects.
- Initiating and maintaining relationships with media and strategic partners.
- Support and oversee data management, acquisition, improvement and segmentation projects.
- Writing, editing and setting up emails/other communications via our marketing automation platform, HubSpot.
- Researching and writing compelling content on the latest industry developments, to be published online and promoted via our weekly e-newsletter.
- Conducting, transcribing and writing-up interviews.
- Editing and refining video, audio and written content.
- Proof reading content written by other team members.
- Onsite event support, including assisting with registration queries, liaising with the event photographer and videographer, dealing with media partners and sourcing/presenting testimonials from attendees.
- Other activities within the scope of the role, as directed by the CEO, COO and Senior Marketing Manager.
- A 2.1 degree (or higher) in Genomics or a related subject (e.g., life sciences). This is essential, and applications will not be considered without this.
- A demonstrable understanding of, and passion for, genomics.
- Some marketing experience would be preferable but not essential.
- A strong interest in pursuing a career in scientific communications and marketing, including the use of social media and email marketing.
- Excellent written communication skills, with a flair for writing copy that is free of basic errors.
- Strong attention to detail.
- A self-starter; a ‘doer’ who gets things done with vigour and efficiency.
- Enjoys working in a varied, fast-paced environment.
- Ability to prioritize with strong organisational skills.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- A hard worker, with an innate desire to reach and exceed targets.
- A commitment to help achieve our social mission.
- A desire to learn new skills.
- Strong initiative – not afraid to suggest solutions, ask for help and request more work when done with initial tasks.
- Tech savvy. Comfortable around data and systems. Welcomes the opportunity to learn new systems and technical skills.
- High levels of personal integrity, and values working for a socially responsible yet commercially minded business.
- Desire to work for a business with a meaningful purpose, above and beyond the typical corporate business.
- £20,500 – £22,000 basic salary, varying with experience. Your salary will be reviewed upon the successful completion of an initial 3-month probationary period.
- 25 days holiday plus 8 public holidays per year.
- You are also gifted your birthday as an additional day of Annual Leave upon successful completion of your probationary period.
- Contributory group pension scheme.
How To Apply
Send a covering letter and CV, addressed to Rich Lumb at email@example.com by 5.30pm on Wednesday 26 March. Please emphasize/demonstrate your interest in both science communications and marketing as part of your application. Immediate start available or the start date can be delayed up until end of July 2021.