Check out the latest genomics week in brief – jam-packed with all the latest genomics news and research, all in one place!
Top stories from the past week
- Leigh syndrome is a severe mitochondrial disease that causes muscle weakness and movement defects. Researchers have now developed the first human model for this rare disease. (Inak et al, 2021)
- Researchers carried out a clinical trial testing a mutation-specific vaccine against malignant brain tumours, proving it to be safe and effective in triggering the desired immune response. (Platten et al, 2021)
- New research has found that alterations in circulating tumour cells can predict outcomes in some castrate-resistant prostate cancer patients. (Gupta et al, 2021)
- A team of scientists has identified more than a dozen new gene variants that explain why people with a rare eye disease, MacTel, are unable to produce enough of an amino acid needed for eye health. (Eade et al, 2021)
- Researchers have identified BM1 as a potential target to protect against Alzheimer’s disease. This protein is required to prevent the development of G4-quadruplexes in neurons, which can disrupt neuronal function. (Hanna et al, 2021)
- A large-scale genome analysis has revealed differences between males and females in major psychiatric disorders, including schizophrenia, major depressive disorder and bipolar disorder. (Blokland et al, 2021)
- Researchers have developed a new therapeutic vaccine that uses a patient’s own tumour cells to train their immune system. The vaccine was able to stop melanoma tumour growth in mouse models and even worked long-term. (Sasso et al, 2021)
- Researchers at NIH have discovered DNA damage hot spots within neurons that accumulate single-strand breaks. (Wu et al, 2021)
- Catch-up on our latest webinar series – ‘Next-Gen PCR ONLINE’. In this series, we highlight how next-gen PCR methods can impact modern science. To watch the webinars on-demand register now.
- Make sure you also catch-up on – ‘Microbiome Sequencing ONLINE‘. In this series, we explore how metagenomics and microbiome sequencing is uncovering the hidden traits of the invisible world. To watch the webinars on-demand register now.
- Download our latest report: ‘Liquid Biopsy: Current Status and Future Directions’. This report will provide you with an overview of liquid biopsy technologies, exclusive interviews with key leaders in the field and insights into the current technical and social barriers impacting clinical uptake. Download your free copy here.
- Optimising sample isolation and preparation is important to ensure that the quality of your sequencing output is not compromised. Check out our report: ‘Sample Preparation Guide for MPS’ which covers everything you need to know about sample preparation. Download your free copy here.
- Check out the latest ‘Sequencing Buyer’s Guide’. This guide will help you understand the sequencing landscape as well as make better purchasing decisions. You can download the guide for free here.